A swamp tour was on the cards for today. It meant an earlier
morning but we took that in our stride. There are lots of swamp tour options.
It is hard to know which one to choose. Your first decision is airboat, which
is speedy but more expensive or slow boat, which is cheaper but slower.
Although you do get to see more wildlife when going slower. We chose the slower
option mostly because I wanted to see as much wildlife as possible. So we
settled on Ultimate Swamp Adventures. Our concierge at our hotel helped us
book.
The swamp tour headquarters was not too far out of New
Orleans. A little bit too urban perhaps. But once we were on the boat we soon
left the houses and powerlines behind. We saw lots of birds, dragonflies and
alligators. The guide attracts the alligators by throwing marshmallows, which
they eat. Apparently the alligators have bad eyesight so large white
marshmallows are easy to see. The guide then tempted them to jump out of the
water with chicken on a pole.
 |
| A blue heron |
 |
| I love dragonflies!! |
 |
| Jump alligator!! |
Our guide knew a lot about the area. His family owns a lot
of the swampland. He was very knowledgeable about hunting. It was informative
and interesting but I think if I went on a swamp tour in the future I would
probably look for one that is more Eco focused, as I am not particularly
interested in hunting seasons and hunting permits. Although if you want to hunt
in Louisiana I can now give you some tips!
He did know a lot about the wildlife and vegetation as well.
The boat went surprisingly fast in between slow bits so we could see the
wildlife. Overall we had fun!
 |
| Nice water plant? A weed called the Japanese water hyacinth. |
 |
| The alligator is coming!! |
 |
| Working oil rig |
 |
| White bird |
In the afternoon it was time for shopping and exploring. The
French Quarter (also where you find Bourbon St) has a lot of old buildings and
history. There is a French Market there that has been used for hundreds of
years. There are a lot of souvenir shops but also some nice arty-crafty shops.
 |
| Feels like Disneyland |
 |
| French Quarter |
The famous Café Du Monde was our first stop. It has been in
operation for about 150 years. It sells coffee and beignets. Which are sugar
coated donuts. It was super busy but we could see why. The beignets were yummy!
 |
| Cafe Du Monde |
 |
| Yum yum yum |
 |
| Yummy sugar coated beignets |
For lunch I had some lovely Vietnamese Pho (noodle soup) at
the French Market. We also had a snow cone as it was hot hot hot!!
 |
| Delicious Beef Pho |
That evening we had plans. We were finally going to make it
onto a dinner cruise. No missing the ship this time. We were there super early
and were entertained by the steamboat as it has a pipe organ on the top. A very
heat immune lady was up there playing for our entertainment. I feel for her!!
 |
| Playing use lovely music |
 |
| Our steamboat |
We had chosen the early dining as our concierge said that
you see more after dinner that way. The food buffet was great. I loved the cornmeal-covered
catfish. Desert was a bread pudding that was quite nice as well.
 |
| buffet dinner |
 |
| dessert bread pudding |
 |
| dining room on the ship |
We spent the rest of the cruise out on the top deck
looking at the Mississippi river and the shore. There was also a live Jazz band
playing. The atmosphere was great!!
 |
| On the Mississippi |
 |
| Engine room |
 |
| Night time New Orleans |
 |
| Beautiful boat, beautiful sunset, beautiful couple :P |
I want to bag me an alligator! Marshmellows, chicken and a gun. I think I have all the info I need, thanks Beth. Love Dad
ReplyDeleteNo problem but that is not how you catch one :P Just how you attract one. I will tell you all about it when we get back. Love Beth
ReplyDelete